The holiday season is in full swing, and for many of us that means parties, food days at work, social meet-ups, etc. Delicious, high calorie foods and treats laced in sugar are in abundance! We are faced with an overwhelming amount of temptations. Not only are our willpowers tempted, but our calendars begin to fill up leaving less time for our usual workouts or activity. That doesn’t mean we should throw in the towel! Here are some tips for navigating through the holidays:
1. Drink water! Don’t confuse thirst with hunger.
2. Bring a healthy dish to social gatherings.
3. Scan the food options before filling your plate. Survey what’s available first.
4. Practice the three-bite rule. You’ll get the amazing first taste, a satisfying middle one, and then a lingering third bite.
5. Use smaller plates.
6. Avoid banking calories for later in the day. This often leads to over-indulging.
1. Try a new class at the gym.
2. Join a challenge! Many employers and gyms are offering challenges with prize incentives! If not, check out the many available online such as these: Pinterest Challenges Get your friends and family involved in the challenge, too, for some friendly competition! One of my favorites is 31 days of burpees!
3. Plan an active outing such as ice skating, sledding, or a holiday fun run/walk with friends and family.
4. Check out a new fitness option offered in Living Social or Groupon.
5. Aim to get in 30 minutes of activity each day. Studies show even if you break this into three-10 minute increments, you’ll get the same benefit.
6. Get plenty of rest. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night!
How do you stay on track during the holidays? Share your favorite tips and tricks in the comments below!